Friday, November 2, 2007

Charts and Rewards~Ideas anyone??

Okay well here we go...the second post in as many days!! Wow....shocking, I know!
Well today was just another average day. Janelle and I did school for the morning which we ended off by baking peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. She loves baking. When we finished that, we headed over to Tim Horton's. I treated her to a hot chocolate. This is a huge deal to her, as it isn't something that I do often...I think maybe 4 times total for her! She was so excited. I talked to her about doing this weekly as a reward for completing a certain number of tasks. Of course she thought this was a great idea!! So I'm going to put together a reward system of checks for certain tasks completed. When she gets so many checks than she can cash it in for a trip to Tim Horton's with Mommy...or Walmart with a few dollars for some sort of reward. I'm thinking that this is probably the best way to motivate this child. I was trying to find something that was really important to her. I racked my brain and couldn't really think of anything that she REALLY likes to do or have, etc.. Then I realized her favourite thing to do is spend time with me(swelled head I know!)and even that much more so if we're going somewhere fun, or if it involves hot chocolate or shopping. So now I need to do a chart of some sort for her. IDEAS anyone???? I'm not very good with charts...I like them but I really have to work at it to keep up with them! So hopefully we can stick with this chart this time. If you know of a good chore/routine chart, please let me know! Thanks :)Have a super weekend! ~Heather

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great idea and certainly one in which will hopefully 'inspire' Janelle - to be so motivated in her subjects - which are so vitally important.

Alas the charts I have in relation to neurology are not obviously appropriate.

But I will get my thinking cap on and indeed ask around - see what one can come up with...

If only I could receive samples of your delicious cookies fresh from the oven - alas technology has not advanced to such an extent - just yet..

MightyMom said...

keep it simple!

good luck!

I have a star chart for potty training that's adaptable,

this.mightymom@yahoo.com

if you want a pick.

my4kids said...

I'm a terrible chart maker and even worse at keeping them up! Izzak kind of gets treats every day though for completing school work. I use certain programs as motivation to get things done. He has to watch educational tv during the time the others are in school but he has no problem finding shows he likes to watch.

Anonymous said...

Still trying to think of some charts??

I need more caffeine - I guess....

Will ask some of my blogfriends - see if they can assist.

Christy said...

ONe thing I do with Laura Grace when she is having a difficult time listening is throw in a "get back on track" chart. Each day that she does well (she gets three strikes a day) she gets a small reward (usually an extra bedtime story or she gets to stay up fifteen minutes later and play a boardgame). When she has had a really good week-she gets to have a movie night with me (we watch a thirty minute movie and pop popcorn before bed that Fri. night). If she has an entire month of doing her chores every day, not getting three strikes, ect.. we go to Barnes and Nobles and read books together. She LOVES this and it really helps her stay on track. I should do it all the time but we tend to phase it out and in as needed.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking thinking and thinking... but nothing comes to mind... :| If it's about the decoration and all, why don't you let her decorate it herself... She might want to :-)

Heather K said...

Just had a brainwave...I'll google it! duh! dont know why i didn't think of that sooner?!