Thursday, May 17, 2007

Where are YOU from??

What American accent do you have?
Created by Xavier on Memegen.net

Canada. You probably get irritated when British people and Europeans think you're from the States, but over here we wouldn't make a mistake like that.

Take this quiz now - it's easy!
We're going to start with "cot" and "caught." When you say those words do they sound the same or different?




Wow I'm impressed!!! This thing knew I was Canadian!!!
Woo hoooo!
Give it a try and see if it can peg you!.... If you do it let
me know so I can come have a look!

I've worked every day this week so far... I think I'm
going to take tomorrow off and get ready for a birthday
party this weekend! We haven't had Janelle's friend's
party yet!?? *blush* I know.... that's pretty bad...
but making it conincide with payday as well as a day off
for me is important!!!
tata for now

ps
by the way.... we do have different "accents" for different
parts of Canada.. people from Ontario tend to sound
American.... and besides that we also have a French Province...
just to mix things up a bit!!! By the way... there is something
I've thought is kinda strange....
Why would a line on the map make a difference in how
someone speaks??? I can tell when someone is from Washington
State which is an hours drive from here!! Strange how that line
changes how we all speak!?!

pss
Does anyone know how to center this quiz so that you can read the whole thing????



4 comments:

my4kids said...

No idea on how to center the quiz.
It was a bit off for me though it didn't say just one it said two?

Northern.
Whether you have the world famous Inland North accent of the Great Lakes area, or the radio-friendly sound of upstate NY and western New England, your accent is what used to set the standard for American English pronunciation (not much anymore now that the Inland North sounds like it does).


Midland.
The Midland (please don't confuse with "Midwest") itself is the neutral zone between the North and South. But just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from there. Since it is considered a neutral, default, "non-regional" accent you could easily be from someplace without its own accent, like Florida, or a big city in the South like Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta.

I don't think either one really fits me though. I mostly talk like people around here in the northwest (like washington) but sometimes its a little different because I mostly grew up in Southern California around all kinds of people with different accents so I mix it up a bit without thinking of it and I know that I say some things a little different then people around here.

Momma Roar said...

Wow, it was right on the money! Not sure how to center it, I don't know why it does that sometimes! Sorry I can't help. It was a fun quiz though!

Anonymous said...

This is wierd, my quiz said I sound like I'm from Minnesota, but I KNOW I don't talk like that. Hmmm. I grew up in California and live in New Mexico. The only time anyone's ever mentioned me talking in a certain way, is my husband, who is from NM but also lived in CA when he was in the military: he says I talk like a valley girl!! It was a fun quiz, though!!

Christie Belle said...

It pegged me too, Southern, like it or not, I believe is how they put it, lol.