Monday, May 7, 2007

okay okay....3 in one day?!? I know this is getting excessive

I know, I've already posted twice today... but I just had to do one more!
Yesterday I started working on the pool. What a mess!! It's SO green! The Mallard ducks think it's a pond. I was worried about adding chemicals for fear of burning their little legs off! But I got over it!
Yesterday I added a gallon of algaecide. It didn't do much other than turn it a different shade of green. I went on the internet to see what we could do and found some pretty scary pool stories. This pushed me to get my butt over to the pool store. The guy just kinda chuckled.
I told him we were "saving money" last fall by not having a professional shut the pool down...OOPS!! Not a good idea when one has never done this before!! He said the ducks are there because of the green algae..... So anyway, he gave me some super strong shock stuff. I just poured it in a little while ago and stirred it up. That's the other thing. We can't turn the pump on until we get this algae killed, otherwise we'll just circulate it through the pump and filter--more problems. So now I wait a few days and let the algaecide and shock do their job... hopefully it works!
I'll post some before and after pictures soon....Well I sure hope it's soon... I don't want this to take forever to clear up!!!


PS
HERE ARE THE BEFORE PICS!!! YAY! I managed to get the pictures downloaded off the camera fairly quickly so decided to just add them to this post.
The pool is a huge mess. You can see the piles of leaves around the pool that I've scooped out. They are all sitting on the bottom getting slimey. There are even little wiggly worms in those leaves! YUCK!! Have you ever had 'ring around the bath tub'? Well how about 'ring around the swimming pool?!?!?! I've never done this before so it's all a wonderful surprise to me!!!

23 comments:

Christie Belle said...

LOL, I know nothing of how to care for a pool, but it sounds like a pain in the rear. I'm looking forward to seeing the before and afters, though!

Heather K said...

Okay well... I just dowloaded the pictures..if it doesn't take me too long I'll put them on here tonight.. otherwise it's tomorrow!

Momma Roar said...

Ok, I wouldn't want to go swimming in it right now, but I love you view of those mountains!!!! :)

Portrait of Peter said...

I hope the solution you poured in - does the trick!!

It looks like it's going to be a massive task to clean out.

Got to agree - the view is just stunning when soaking up the beautiful sunshine.

my4kids said...

Hope it works quick I'm looking forward to swimming in a non algae pool in august.

Heather K said...

It BETTER be ready LONG before August!!
:o)

Anonymous said...

I am surprised your ducks haven't eaten the worms in the leaves, maybe take a rake and turn the leaves over a bit, just enough for the ducks to see the wiggling worms maybe. Well, i don't know about Mallards, our ducks are different, but they love worms, and they keep my weeds down for me.
nice looking pool though!
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Don't you have to use a winter cover? We have a winter cover on our pool that keeps the water underneath pretty clear and clean. We suck the yuck off the cover and then once the cover is removed we put our chemicals in, run the pump for a day and the pool looks wonderful.
I promise this water will clear up, but I sure hope you have a winter cover for next year :)

Heather K said...

the worms are on the bottom of the pool with the leaves shekinah.....Ginger.....I hate to lay blame but hubby wanted to do it himself and didn't figure out how to put the cover on (some people learn the hard way lol)..... or the right chemicals in...... ;oS

Portrait of Peter said...

Heather, now I know why you did (3) posts in one day - so you don't have to do anymore until "Thursday"!!!

Look forward to viewing a new one - then!!!

Christie Belle said...

Oh my! I just saw the pictures of your pool, lol. You have a nice set up, I can't wait to see how pretty it will be once the water returns to blue! Thanks so much for asking how I'm feeling, you are so sweet. I'm feeling much better than last week, but still not 100%, if I'm not back in full swing by Monday, I'll be revisiting the doc's. I'm kinda just holding out and praying that whatever is going haywire will quit, lol. Big hugs, and thanks again Heather!

Christie Belle said...

LOL, I'm such a scatter-brain! Yes, that is a heart on my bracelet:) Jason got it for me before he left, so that I would get a med alert charm for my diabetes (which I haven't done yet). Mine has a little key charm too, and the heart has a keyhole, let me know if it's the same one as yours!

Heather K said...

no I guess it's not the same one.. but I think I know which one you're talking about... I used to work in a jewelery store and they had some that look like yours... I think! Mine is a filigree heart.. its 3-D and it has a latch at the top to make it kinda look like a padlock too

Heather K said...

ps
Christie
the reason you didn't see the pictures the first time is because they weren't there!! I added them after... Had to get them downloaded and posted! :o)

Heather K said...

pss
Christie... get your buns out to the store and get that medic alert charm!!! :OD

Just Mom said...

Good luck with the pool. leigh Ann is right, the view of the mountains is gorgeous.

Thanks, by the way, for visiting my blog. Come back soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

You guys have a pool, how lucky you are!! :-) I can imagine how wonderful the pool is going to be once the water's cleaned, and how much fun you will all have in your neat backyard!!

Rebecca said...

Well, i can see you have your work cut out for you.

BUT.

That is a GORGEOUS pool and pool area. The view is fantastic and I can SO see how great a retreat that must be in the summer!

It will ALL be worth the work...don't you worry about that.

Heather K said...

Hi Justmom and Rebecca... newcomers.. good to see you..hi Kitty.. yes the pool is beautiful in the summer... loads of deck area for people to lounge on...and to the right just out of view is a large walnut tree.... makes a great shady spot....but will be lotsa work to get it all looking pretty! and yes it's like a bit of a retreat because of the high fences... neighbours can't see in!! It's our little oasis in the middle of our(smallish) city.

Christie Belle said...

Hehe, I know, I know...I need to stop procrastinating!

Jennifer said...

Oh I can't wait to see your "after" pictures! I'm sure it's a lot of hard work (my grandparents have a pool that my brother and I always help with). Good luck getting those ducks to go away :o)

Jennifer said...

Heather, thanks for the post about my kitchen....

to answer your questions...
actually, the cupboards are all those old brown ones with PAINT! We were (and still are) on a tight home renovating budget, so we opted to paint the brown paneling and cabinets rather than tearing it down and putting up sheetrock. We replaced all the hardware on the cabinet doors for an updated look. It sounds too simply to make such a big change :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I guess this means no swimming this weekend, eh?!? Or tell that Brother-in-law of mine to get his bootie in gear or I won't let him hold Silas!!! hahahahaha LOL!