Friday, April 13, 2007

Working

You may have noticed my posts for the last little while have been different than the usual blabbering on about what's been going on around here. Well I started a temporary part time job merchandising.
We go into Walmart, Zellers, London Drugs as well as many other drug/grocery stores and "reline" their cosmetic walls. The cosmetic companies hire our company to come in and do their merchandising, which includes taking most (and sometimes all) of the product down off the wall and rehanging it in a new position. We're doing a spring 'reline'. The companies come out with their new colours and products each spring and fall. So we're doing the "spring blitz". They're having trouble getting enough staff, so the days are long. We did a job on Monday that was 15 hours in the store, with a 31/2 hour drive home! That was a really long one but that has been the only one that's been that many hours. I'm amazed at how sore I was on Tuesday after the 15 hour day...going down to say goodnight when I got home at 130 am to my 13 year old was a hard one!! :oP
I talked about this a little bit in an older post called 'busy busy busy'. It is really physical work...
I like the sense of accomplishment though when you finish one of the company's relines and you stand back and have a look at how fresh and pretty it all looks. There are only about 3 weeks or so left before we'll be done.

The kids are home from school today. It's a Pro. development day for their teachers. So it's a day of laundry and general cleaning as I've been working for the last several days and things have fallen into a state of...umm....disorganization and mess!!!
Our 12 yr. old is going on a junior youth retreat this weekend, so we have to get her all set and ready to go for tonight, which includes washing her laundry and packing all her stuff.
Courtenay (13) wants us to start painting the livingroom today....We'll see how that goes. I have to get this laundry done, and also have to go do my card job at a dollar store. take Janelle to the dentist, and then drop Amanda off at the church at 4:30
Well toodloo
Heather

8 comments:

Momma Roar said...

I'm glad you explained that because I wasn't sure what a spring reline was in your last meme. Now I know :) Sounds like you've found something you love and is fun :)

Anonymous said...

It does sound like fun work!! I can see why you're tired, though. Those are long, physical days. It is so hard juggling home and family with a job, I have been there, too. Keep up the great work!! :-)

Susan said...

Busy, busy. I've been there. I agree with you though it's always so nice to stand back and look at a job well done. I'll pay attention to the makeup area the next time I'm in the store and take notice!!

my4kids said...

Wow those are long hours! I would be sore to. I used to work at a Hallmark store and we would have to periodically take down huge sections of cards to put up the new seasonal cards. It was tiring being up and down all day. Same with the merchandise changes.

You sound like you have a lot to do this weekend, don't forget to take some time for yourself even if only a minute or two. And work doesn't count as a moment to yourself either by the way....

Anonymous said...

Ah, the life of a busy mom. My kids are pretty much on their own and I still hate working an extra day here or there. I like my little normal schedule.

I loved your comment on my site about remembering "the first house", I do remember because we bought my parents house and it was the house I grew up in. It was very fun to raise our girls in that house. We no longer live there, but we sure have great memories, me more than anyone. My little girls did the same things in that house as I did as a kid.

Heather K said...

Ginger--that is so neat to have raised your kids in the same as as you grew up in! What a treasure of memories that would be!

Anonymous said...

Okay, well that reline explains what you meant in the meme from earlier. Wow, well I will pray for your strength as you take on this job. And for your family.
You sound busy.
Blessings

Candy said...

Heather, Im trying to figure out where you grew up? Are you from Nfld too?? If so, where?
You can email me..
You know Paula and I went to the same Christian high school so now Im wondering if Lyle and you are from around there too??
Candy :)